NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The markets retreated late in Wednesday's trading session despite reassuring comments from Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke that the economy was moving in the right direction.
The Dow fell 40.73, or 41%, to 9,899.25, while the S&P 500 lost 6.31, or 0.59%, to 1,055.69. The Nasdaq dropped 11.72, or 0.54%, to 2,158.85.
Melissa Lee, the moderator of CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, said the market surrendered triple-digit because of weakness in BP (BP) and other energy stocks.
For a breakout of some stocks from a recent "Fast Money" TV show, check out Dan Fitzpatrick's "3 Stocks I Saw on TV."
3 Stocks I Saw on TV
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV