(P&G, Newell story updated with comments from Newell Rubbermaid and more analyst commentary.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Over the last six months or so, rumors that P&G (PG) is about to takeover over food-storage and home products maker Newell Rubbermaid (NWL) have resurfaced for the third time, fueling expectations that perhaps there's more to the chatter than just mere speculation.
The origins of the rumors remain unclear, and neither company would comment on them; though Barrington Research analyst Derek Leckow suspects that some of the chatter might be fueled by the fact that many Newell-Rubbermaid senior executives -- including Newell's CEO, Mark Ketchum, and Ted Woehrle, the company's chief marketing office -- had crossed over from P&G.
All in all, most of the sources TheStreet spoke to believe that the rumors should be disregarded as mere noise, and are unsubstantiated.
"These rumors are nonsense," Deutsche Bank Securities analyst Bill Schmitz said. "P&G and Newell go together like oil and water, or skin cream and saw blades. You can quote me on that."Schmitz asserts that there's no real overlap between P&G and Newell Rubbermaid. "P&G sells consumables; Newell sells largely semi-durables," he explained. "The retailers are different, the end users are different, and even the shareholder base is different.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV