Heartland Express reported first-quarter net income of $11.9 million, or 13 cents a share, down 16% from a year earlier, as the company experienced expense increases from property and equipment disposal and depreciation on new tractors purchased during 2009. Heartland attributed its flat operating revenue to lower freight demand and pricing pressures, but also said demand was increasing at quarter-end.
The company's regular quarterly dividend is two cents a share, for a yield of 0.53%, which is the lowest regular dividend yield among this group of ten stocks. Heartland paid a special dividend of $2 per share in May 2007.Shares closed at $15.11 Friday, pulling back 13% since Deutsche Bank analyst Justin Yagerman downgraded the shares from "Buy" to "Hold" on April 22. At that time, Yagerman said valuations were a bit high, as improvements had already been "priced into" Heartland's shares, and that better entry opportunities might arise. The market seems now to have presented that opportunity. Yagerman also said his firm continues "to like HTLD's long-term prospects as the company typically generates strong free cash flow and earnings growth independent of the economy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV