Hoping for something more, investors booked profits and sent Apple shares down 2% after the presentation.
Apple chief Steve Jobs, who hosted the iPhone ceremony that was live-blogged by TheStreet from the Moscone Center in San Francisco, said that the new iPhone will start at $199 and will be available on June 24 in five countries.
As expected, Apple cut the price of the current iPhone 3GS to $99. And in an effort presumably to lock in subscribers ahead of a Verizon (VZ) iPhone arrival later this year or next year, AT&T (T) says it will allow customers whose contracts expire this year to upgrade at the subsidized price.
Apple Conference 2010
New iPhone: Thinnest Smartphone Ever
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV