Ruddick Shares Climb Following BMO Upgrade
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) â¿¿ Shares of Ruddick Corp., which operates the Harris Teeter supermarket chain, rose Monday after a BMO Capital Markets analyst upgraded the company to "Outperform" from "Market Perform."
THE SPARK: Ruddick has seen traffic and profit improve recently at its upscale grocery chain.
THE BIG PICTURE: Shoppers moved away from higher-end grocery stores during the recession, but some specialty grocery chains like Harris Teeter are beginning to see their business improve consumers loosen their purse strings.
THE ANALYSIS: In a note to clients, BMO Capital Markets analyst wrote that Ruddick is one of the few retailers whose free cash flow, unit sales and profit are growing. She said macroeconomic pressures such as unemployment and housing have bottomed out and are beginning to recover, which would help the company. Short raised her share price target to $38 from $32.SHARE ACTION: Shares of Ruddick rose $1.50, or 4.7 percent, to $33.31 in midday trading. Shares have traded between $21.77 and $38.16 in the past 52 weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV