Former AWA Pilots Will Seek Rehearing
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (TheStreet) -- A federal appeals court ruling last week would free the U.S. Airline Pilots Association to negotiate a new contract with US Airways (LCC), but the pilots who lost the case are expected to file this week for a rehearing before the full appeals court.
"Our position has been vindicated, and we are free to collectively bargain," said Mike Cleary, president of the two-year-old union. "We're going to move forward and accomplish a contract with this company that protects all pilots."
Referring to former America West pilots who lost on appeal, Cleary said: "We have an obligation under fair representation to protect them, and we are very cognizant of our responsibilities; I want the west pilots to know that this union is built for everybody, and we are going to continue to do everything we can to represent everybody."
But Marty Harper, attorney for the America West pilots and managing partner in the Phoenix office of Polsinelli Shughart, said he expects his clients will choose to ask the 11-member court to rehear the case, decided by a 2-1 vote of a three-member panel.An option would be to allow USAPA to negotiate a contract and then appeal if west pilots are not protected. "I'm not sure there is necessarily a preferred route, but with the dissent, we think the better approach is to file the petition for a rehearing and give the ninth circuit the opportunity, if it chooses, to have a group of more than three decide this issue," Harper said.
|More on US Airways Court Backs US Airways Pilots on Seniority|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV