For investors with a longer time horizon, the underperformance of emerging market equity due to Europe's problems can offer opportunities to gain exposure to emerging markets for the mid- to long-term.
This is especially true because many emerging markets do not have the same government debt problems gripping Europe. Because they are being pulled down by the same market concerns, but going forward in the mid to long term, they will not be held down by the same negative economic side-effects of debt problems.
In the case of emerging and Eastern Europe, the proximity of Hungary has led to concerns for their markets. But after Friday's panic, the government worked over the weekend to come up with solutions and Hungary can avoid default by making budget cuts.
If Eastern Europe ETFs are oversold, however, the play here is not GUR or ESR, but Market Vectors Poland (PLND) and iShares MSCI Austria (EWO). These two ETFs have the heftiest exposure to any crisis in Eastern Europe and it showed on Friday.GUR slid 5.1% on the day, ESR fell 5.7%, RSX fell 5.4%, VWO fell 3.3%, but EWO lost 7.5% and PLND tumbled 8.3%. The latter two funds were victims of weaker currencies, as the euro and Polish zloty slid sharply. EWO will decline whenever Eastern European debt becomes a concern because the Austrian banking system has the greatest exposure to debt from the region. Last week, the nation replaced the Spain and Italy ETFs as the biggest loser among eurozone country funds. While EWO might be a solid play if the euro rebounds, a stronger play would be the Poland ETF.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV