Sproxil won the Boston installment of IBM SmartCamp, a competition that provides networking opportunities to a select group of technology startups.
To qualify for SmartCamp, a startup must be younger than 3 years old with maximum annual sales of less than $1 million. Throughout the year, IBM will be running one-day SmartCamp programs in Paris, Tel Aviv, Silicon Valley, Boston, Stockholm and London.
At the end of each event, Big Blue chooses a company from each city to attend SmartCamp week in Dublin (Nov. 15), where the worldwide winner will be named. There's no direct cash prize -- the grand prize is a few months of mentorship from IBM officials -- but of the five startups that made it to the finals last year, four received significant funding offers from angel investors.Sproxil uses cell-phone-based authentication technology to help prevent counterfeit drugs in developing countries. Consumers scratch off a security code on the medicine bottle -- like with a lottery ticket -- and then they text the code to Sproxil from their cell phones. If the code is legitimate, consumers immediately receive a confirmation message. The technology will work with any phone that supports texting. Drug counterfeiting is, by some estimates, a problem that generates tens of billions of dollars annually for criminals. Recent counterfeiting schemes resulted in sales of fake and ineffective versions of the Genentech (DNA) anti-obesity drug Xenical and the anti-malarial drug Metakelfin, according to the World Health Organization. -- Reported by Carmen Nobel in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV