BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The S&P 500, the broadest benchmark for U.S. stocks, has fallen more than 10% since reaching a 19-month high in April on concern about slower-than-expected economic growth in the U.S. and China, and Europe's spreading debt crisis.
While some risk-averse investors may be skipping out on equities for fear the stock-market correction will turn into a bear market, there are defensive Dow stocks that can cushion the blow and outperform their peers on the benchmark index of the 30 largest U.S. companies.
Stocks with limited risks and a strong dividend will hold their value better than most in a downturn. While they won't pop in a turnaround as much as riskier shares will, the following five Dow companies are the cream of the crop in any conditions.An analysis of the select Dow companies begins on the next page, along with charts that highlight their relative strengths.
|More on the Dow 10 Stocks to Beat the Dow Diamonds|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV