Carroll said that Mattel is seeking increased control over the growth of its entertainment revenues, and "while the company has historically been a major licensee of entertainment content from such companies as Disney and Nickelodeon, it is now looking toward the successful launch of the Monster High franchise to demonstrate that it, too, has the ability to create a franchise that can become culturally relevant among teen and tween girls."
In a press release, Mattel said that the property will be delivering "rich" content and "relatable" storytelling through publishing, Web, animation and live-action theatrical entertainment, and launching consumer products in toys, apparel and accessories.
While there have been concerns about Mattel's margins due to higher raw material costs, labor, freight and distribution, KeyBanc Capital Markets analysts believe that Mattel should be able to offset them and preserve margins, given that it's implemented low to mid single-digit price increases on the 2010 product lines.
Those analysts believe that Mattel has the ability to further push up prices if input costs continue to rise.
Click here for consumer products to watch this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV