Investor Daniel Hung, who writes the Curious Investor blog, also voiced his concern about the "psychological" effect of a large Apple dividend.
"Apple hasn't been imprudent with its cash and hasn't shown a tendency to make irrational acquisitions," he wrote, in an email to TheStreet. "To some degree, I'm willing to let them hold onto the cash knowing that its sentimental value attracts investors and supports the current share price."
It seems unlikely that Apple's strategy will change anytime soon. The tech giant did not respond to questions from TheStreet asking whether a dividend or share buyback is in the company's future. An Apple spokeswoman, however, referred to TheStreet to Jobs' comments at this year's annual investor meeting.
One thing is for sure, though. Apple's stock has skyrocketed, rising more than 1000% in the past 10 years, and it seems that many investors value share price over dividend payments.
Who Owns Apple?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV