Apple stopped paying dividends in 1995, preferring to focus on growth at a time when the company was facing stiff competition from the likes of Microsoft (MSFT). A decade and a half later, though, Apple is an undisputed tech heavyweight, recently surpassing Microsoft's market cap and exiting the second quarter with more than $41 billion in cash and investments.
Now, some investors are clamoring for a share of the wealth.
"I feel pretty strongly that Apple should pay a regular dividend to shareholders," said Apple investor Scott Grannis in an email to TheStreet. "The size of its cash haul is now so big that it is difficult to justify."Grannis, who writes the Calafia Beach Pundit blog, warned that a vast pool of cash could prove risky if not managed properly. "Too much cash on hand can lead to the temptation to make ill-considered acquisitions," he wrote. "We've seen that happen with a number of tech companies -- for example, Microsoft and Google (GOOG)."
|More on Apple The New iPhone: WWDC 2010 Blog|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV