This is not the first time that Buffett has expressed his support for the troubled ratings agency. Previously, at the annual Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) shareholders meeting in Nebraska, the oracle of Omaha had sung the firm's praises.
In recent weeks Buffett has also offered his support for Goldman Sachs (GS). Like Moody's, Goldman has been the recipient of plenty of criticism stemming from its actions leading up to and in response to the global economic meltdown. The reigning king of Wall Street was even slapped with fraud charges courtesy of the Securities Exchange Commission for its involvement in the subprime mortgage crisis.
Buffett has also drawn scrutiny recently for his hypocritical stance on derivatives. Although he has been quoted as saying that these instruments were financial weapons of mass destruction, he is also known to manage a multi-billion dollar derivative portfolio.
Buffett is no saint. As highlighted in a Fox Business interview after his appearance in front of the FCIC, sometimes he is forced to make unpopular decisions in his quest to turn a profit. For instance, the investor explained that, although he knows that smoking can kill you, it has not stopped him from owning cigarette bonds.Over the years, countless Buffett watchers have been drawn to this financier not only for his investing prowess but also his warm, grandfatherly image and down-home humor. It is important, however, not to be disillusioned by this façade. Ultimately, Buffett is a businessman looking to make money. In recent weeks, Buffett's less popular business decisions have been highlighted. Has your view of the investor been altered as a result? Feel free to leave a comment below. -- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV