3. Citigroup (C) is quite often the most heavily traded U.S. stock, with an average daily share volume of more than 810 million. Recently, the Treasury Department began selling its Citigroup stake, which was acquired as part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. The bank's stock has famously failed to maintain the $5 level, although shares are up nearly 20% in 2010.
Consensus: Of those with a rating on Citigroup, 11 analysts, or 44%, recommend purchasing the stock. Another 10 analysts advise holding them, and four, including Meredith Whitney, say investors should sell Citigroup shares.
Closing Price: $3.92 (June 2)Bullish Case: On Wednesday, Rochdale Securities analyst Dick Bove said Citigroup's stock is trading at a slight discount to its tangible book value. "This means the company is selling below its liquidation value," Bove wrote. "The true value of Citigroup is well in excess of its current stock price. Some of its hidden asset values are now being recognized. It is led by a very capable CEO. The stock is seriously undervalued." Bove has a buy rating and $6.90 price target on Citigroup shares. Bearish Scenario: In April, Collins Stewart analysts upgraded Citigroup to hold, noting that while there are "signs of a nascent turnaround for the company," there is an overhang on the stock due to the Treasury's sale of its stake in the bank. Risks to the firm's $6 price target include a deteriorating credit and macroeconomic environment and more restrictive constraints from regulators, Collins Stewart analysts wrote.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV