4. Anadys Pharmaceuticals (ANDS) is a biopharmaceutical company developing drugs for the treatment of Hepatitis C virus (HCV) and oncology. The company recently said it is mulling options for its hepatitis C drug candidate ANA-598, retaining Lazard Freres as a strategic advisor. The stock is up 18% in 2010 and more than 25% over the last year.
Consensus: Ten analysts covering Anadys, or 76.9%, say investors should buy the stock, while three recommend holding it.
Closing Price: $2.49 (June 2)Bullish Case: ThinkEquity notes that Anadys management has "taken steps to position ANA598 to be transitioned to a partner through a licensing or outright acquisition" and the firm says it believes the company "is very optimistic about finding a home for ANA598 over the coming months." ThinkEquity has a buy rating and per-share fair value estimate on a risk-adjusted basis of approximately $7. Bearish Scenario: Wedbush analysts have a neutral rating on Anadys shares, questioning whether ANA598's profile will be attractive enough for a partnership. "A partnership or sale of the company is critical both from a development as well as a financing perspective," the firm wrote.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV