7. Magnum Hunter Resources (MHR) is an oil and gas explorer that has seen its share price skyrocket more than 500% since July 2009. In 2010, Magnum Hunter Resources shares have climbed nearly 200%.
Consensus: Of the analysts covering Magnum Hunter Resources, seven, or 87.5%, recommend purchasing shares and one recommends holding them.
Closing Price: $4.65 (June 2)Bullish Case: Pritchard Capital Partners recently reiterated a buy rating on Magnum Hunter Resources with a $6 price target, noting that the company has a growing asset base in some of the strongest shale plays in the United States, namely the Marcellus shale in Appalachia, Bakken in North Dakota and Eagle Ford in Texas. "With approximately 42,000 net Marcellus acres that are predominantly held by production, MHR is the most levered company to the play on the basis of acres per million dollars of Enterprise Value," the firm wrote in a research note. Bearish Scenario: With a buy rating and $5.75 price target, KeyBanc Capital Markets notes several positive catalysts for Magnum Hunter Resources in the coming months. But the firm also highlights a few of the risks facing investors in the stock, including difficulty funding its capital spending plans and a lack of execution of its development strategy in the Marcellus, Eagle Ford, and/or Bakken shales. "MHR has approximately 8.6 million warrants outstanding, which may be exercised into common stock and thus would be dilutive to common shareholders," the firm added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV