7. Magnum Hunter Resources (MHR) is an oil and gas explorer that has seen its share price skyrocket more than 500% since July 2009. In 2010, Magnum Hunter Resources shares have climbed nearly 200%.
Consensus: Of the analysts covering Magnum Hunter Resources, seven, or 87.5%, recommend purchasing shares and one recommends holding them.
Closing Price: $4.65 (June 2)Bullish Case: Pritchard Capital Partners recently reiterated a buy rating on Magnum Hunter Resources with a $6 price target, noting that the company has a growing asset base in some of the strongest shale plays in the United States, namely the Marcellus shale in Appalachia, Bakken in North Dakota and Eagle Ford in Texas. "With approximately 42,000 net Marcellus acres that are predominantly held by production, MHR is the most levered company to the play on the basis of acres per million dollars of Enterprise Value," the firm wrote in a research note. Bearish Scenario: With a buy rating and $5.75 price target, KeyBanc Capital Markets notes several positive catalysts for Magnum Hunter Resources in the coming months. But the firm also highlights a few of the risks facing investors in the stock, including difficulty funding its capital spending plans and a lack of execution of its development strategy in the Marcellus, Eagle Ford, and/or Bakken shales. "MHR has approximately 8.6 million warrants outstanding, which may be exercised into common stock and thus would be dilutive to common shareholders," the firm added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV