9. FuelCell Energy (FCEL) is, as the name implies, a developer of fuel cell technology in the United States and abroad. The company manufactures fuel cell power plants for electric power generation. Shares have dropped more than 23% over the last month and more than 43% over the last year.
Consensus: Of the analysts covering FuelCell Energy, seven, or 70%, recommend purchasing the stock. Two analysts recommend selling the stock, and another advises holding it.
Closing Price: $2.13 (June 2)Bullish Case: Thomas Weisel Partners said in March that FuelCell Energy has "multi near-term catalysts on the horizon," including further support in the South Korea market as well as the likely addition of two to three European partners in 2010. The firm has an outperform rating on FuelCell and a $5 price target. Bearish Scenario: In an earnings preview ahead of the company's June 7 second-quarter report, Canaccord Genuity cut its price target to $4.50 from $6.25, citing compressed multiples across the energy-tech group. The firm maintained its buy rating, although Canaccord highlighted some of the investment risks to FuelCell. They included limited market acceptance of the company's fuel cell product, which is in the very early stages of commercialization. "While cash balances and liquidity are adequate in the near term, FuelCell may need to raise additional capital until the company reaches break-even," the firm added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV