BOSTON ( TheStreet) --Stocks trading under $5 typically have no analyst coverage, never mind a buy rating, leaving investors to do the homework for themselves. However, a select few under-$5 stocks have very favorable coverage from analysts, which can heavily influence share price movements. The following 10 U.S. stocks trade below $5 and have garnered the most buy ratings from analysts.
10. Paetec Holding (PAET) offers voice and data services to large- and small-sized business customers in metropolitan areas. Shares have fallen 18% in the last month but have climbed 22% over the last year.
Consensus: Of the analysts covering Paetec, seven, or 53.9%, argue that the stock will outperform, while six analysts recommend holding shares.
Closing Price: $4.02 (June 2)Bullish Case: Collins Stewart, which has a buy rating and $6 price target on Paetec, argues that as the decline in the company's wireline business "becomes less of a drag upon results and as it crosses back over to positive revenue growth, starting this quarter, investors will accord a higher multiple to its valuation." Bearish Scenario: Deutsche Bank, which has a hold rating and $4.20 price target on Paetec shares, says that "while positive on the company's ability to rebound from economic pressures and leverage its recent acquisitions, we have yet to gain visibility into sustained improvement to macro-employment levels, which tend to lead enterprise revenue trends by three to four quarters."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV