BOSTON (TheStreet) --Stocks trading under $5 typically have no analyst coverage, never mind a buy rating, leaving investors to do the homework for themselves. However, a select few under-$5 stocks have very favorable coverage from analysts, which can heavily influence share price movements. The following 10 U.S. stocks trade below $5 and have garnered the most buy ratings from analysts.
10. Paetec Holding (PAET) offers voice and data services to large- and small-sized business customers in metropolitan areas. Shares have fallen 18% in the last month but have climbed 22% over the last year.
Consensus: Of the analysts covering Paetec, seven, or 53.9%, argue that the stock will outperform, while six analysts recommend holding shares.
Closing Price: $4.02 (June 2)Bullish Case: Collins Stewart, which has a buy rating and $6 price target on Paetec, argues that as the decline in the company's wireline business "becomes less of a drag upon results and as it crosses back over to positive revenue growth, starting this quarter, investors will accord a higher multiple to its valuation." Bearish Scenario: Deutsche Bank, which has a hold rating and $4.20 price target on Paetec shares, says that "while positive on the company's ability to rebound from economic pressures and leverage its recent acquisitions, we have yet to gain visibility into sustained improvement to macro-employment levels, which tend to lead enterprise revenue trends by three to four quarters."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV