BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Consumer-goods makers are some of analysts' least favorite companies. Still, there are great investments in the sector. Here are two of researchers' top picks. Both are expected to outperform indices by wide margins.
2. Jarden (JAH) makes niche consumer products, including plastic cutlery, matches, rope, twine, toothpicks and clothes pins. During the past three years, Jarden has increased revenue 10% annually, on average. It has a market value of $2.6 billion.
Quarter: Jarden swung to a first-quarter loss of $59 million, or 66 cents, from a profit of $8.9 million, or 12 cents, a year earlier. Revenue grew 4.4%. The operating margin widened from 5.6% to 5.9%. Jarden has $951 million of cash and $2.9 billion of debt.
Stock: Jarden has advanced 48% during the past year, outperforming U.S. indices. It trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 8.7, an 80% discount to its peer average. Its PEG ratio of 0.5 indicates a 50% discount to projected long-term growth.Consensus: Of analysts covering Jarden, eight, or 73%, recommend purchasing its shares and three advise holding them. None suggest selling. Citigroup (C) expects the stock to rise 70% to $48. RBC (RY) and Barclays (BCS) predicts that it will hit $39.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV