The Washington-Wall Street Alliance
Despite all of the political rhetoric surrounding financial reform legislation, "Too Big To Fail" over leverage in the banking system, and high risk bets at proprietary Wall Street trading desks will not be resolved in the pending legislation because Washington and Wall Street have a symbiotic relationship held together by the realization on both sides that they need each other for survival.
Those reports only require a snapshot of the balance sheet on the call report date, i.e., the last business day of the quarter. So, by significantly reducing "borrowings" on the last day of the quarter, they are able to hide their true leverage and technically produce higher capital ratios for their regulatory reports.
Such leverage, of course, was and continues to be the major cause of financial instability. Leverage, along with the risks taken by the proprietary trading desks of the "Too Big To Fail" were supposed to be fixed by the financial regulation bill now in a House-Senate conference committee. But, a closer look at the pending legislation reveals that neither excessive leverage nor the risks taken on the proprietary trading desks have really been addressed.Another Journal opinion piece entitled
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV