(The following is a roundup of recent events related to the BP oil spill, including the the static kill.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- BP (BP)is preparing to launch its static kill operation on Monday, with tests to be conducted and the actual operation tried as early as Tuesday. The static kill will be the first of a two-pronged effort from BP to permanently plug the compromised Macondo well.
The static kill operation is similar to previous failed "kill" operations attempted by BP, which involved pumping heavy drilling mud and cement into the Macondo well. BP hopes the static kill will succeed where the previous "kill" methods failed because of the cap now in place over the well. The cap, never meant to be a permanent solution to the leaking well, should make efforts to pump mud and cement into the well more effective, BP has said.
BP plans to follow up the static kill with the relief well that has always been the No. 1 plan for ending the oil spill permanently.The static kill could be the beginning of the end of the oil spill, which began on April 20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV