Oldsmobile Super 88
Then there was Oldmobile. Jesse Toprak, market analyst for Edmunds.com, said: "Pontiac was GM's performance-, sports-oriented brand, but it was never compelling enough, never good enough. For the most part, it was just a redundant brand. It had some exciting products that would come up and create buzz, but then they would go away."
GM closed Oldsmobile in 2004. Founded in 1897, Oldsmobile lasted for 107 years -- the oldest surviving U.S. car brand before it perished. Once an innovation leader, it was the brand GM selected in 1938 with which to introduce the fully automatic transmission.
As recently as 1985, GM sold nearly 1.2 million cars. But by the 1990s, the brand -- positioned between Pontiac and Buick -- had lost whatever distinctiveness it claimed.
In retrospect, Oldsmobile's shutdown was a harbinger of things to come. The move showed that GM, a company with 20% of the market, could not continue to operate as it did in 1962, when it had 51% of the market. Yet by 2009, GM had become so ossified that the government had to intervene to enforce this line of thought.-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV