DETROIT (TheStreet) -- The restructuring of the auto industry has taken a toll on some familiar -- and a few iconic -- brands.
Ford's (F) Mercury brand -- the subject of the oft-covered song, "Mercury Blues," that immortalized the American automobile -- may be the next to go.
Ford directors will make the determination in July, a development first reported by Bloomberg News. The move would enable efficiencies for the parent company, which is focused on its flagship brand. (Last year, consumers bought about 90,000 Mercury cars and about 1.4 million Ford models.)
On Friday, CEO Alan Mulally addressed the report during a Ford analysts meeting. "I saw some of those reports myself -- we have nothing new to add today," he said. "We have shared in the past that we continue to look at our portfolio of brands and the specific nameplates like any good business does, but we have nothing to add today."Read on for more about a few recently shuttered -- but not necessarily forgotten -- American auto brands.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV