BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The hedge fund Greenlight Capital, run by David Einhorn, has returned 22% annually, on average, since its 1996 inception, outperforming U.S. stock benchmarks by wide margins. Here are three of Einhorn's favorite small-cap stocks.
3. Einstein Noah Restaurant Group (BAGL) owns and franchises bagel shops. During the past three years, it has doubled earnings per share annually, on average. Greenlight Capital owns about 11 million shares, or 65% of the float.
Quarter: First-quarter profit tumbled 66% to $620,000, or 3 cents, as revenue inched up to $101 million. The operating margin widened from 3.1% to 4.4%. Einstein holds $11 million of cash and $96 million of debt, equal to a debt-to-equity ratio of 1.3.
Stock: Einstein Noah has advanced 71% during the past year, beating U.S. stock indices. It trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 14 and a price-to-cash-flow ratio of 5.9, 59% and 54% discounts to peer averages. It's also cheap based on sales.Consensus: Of analysts covering Einstein Noah, five, or 63%, advise purchasing its shares and three recommend holding them. D.A. Davidson offers a price target of $17, leaving a potential return of 29%. Jefferies (JEF) expects the stock to hit $15.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV