By Eric Dutram of ETF Database
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Despite their position at the epicenter of the recent mortgage meltdown, many U.S. real estate ETFs have rebounded nicely in 2010. In fact, of the 13 ETFs in the domestic
This divergence between the domestic and international real estate markets is due to several factors. Although unemployment in the U.S. remains well above its long-term average, the situation is even worse in many developed nations; Spain, for example, recently saw its unemployment rate top 20%. Because many REIT ETFs have heavy allocations to commercial and industrial real estate, demand for office space can significantly impact real estate prices.
More importantly, credit markets in the U.S. have continued to thaw, and concerns about an imminent commercial real estate collapse have eased considerably. Real estate markets in the rest of the world have not been so fortunate; chaos in Europe has hammered real property values, while deflation in Japan and bubble worries in China have weighed on Asian markets.In the following pages, we profile four real estate ETFs that have been impacted by the recent slump: two domestic leaders and two international laggards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV