5. Javelin's Fall
"Never catch a falling knife" is the Wall Street adage traders cling to during volatile markets like these. If you ask us, they may want to avoid a falling Javelin (JAV) as well.
Shares of Javelin Pharmaceuticals lost a quarter of their value Monday after the company said its licensee for the pain treatment Dyloject has withdrawn all batches of the drug from the U.K. Therabel Pharma UK Ltd. yanked Dyloject after finding the presence of a "white particulate matter" in some of its vials.
What's the matter with a little extra "matter," you ask?Well, aside from safety questions and the ick factor, this unexplained "matter" matter could undermine a major merger. (Say that sentence three times fast and you may need a pain treatment yourself!) Javelin, you see, is the subject of an all-cash, $145 million tender offer, or $2.20 per share, from drug and medical device maker Hospira (HSP), which snatched the company from rival Myriad Pharmaceuticals (MYRX) in April with a better offer. After Monday's selloff, Javelin's market cap has been reduced to $80 million, and its shares now trade around $1.20 a share. Javelin stranded Myriad at the altar last month. Now it is the one being sacrificed. Dumb-o-meter score: 75 -- Javelin is unravelin'.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV