(Sirius story updated with stock price changes.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Since April 14, Sirius XM (SIRI) stock has almost consistently closed above $1 (aside from small dips below the dollar on the 20th and the 25th of May).
Then suddenly, on Wednesday, Sirius XM stock plunged 10.3%, ending the trading session at 88 cents; the dip was far more pronounced than any recent declines, triggering flashbacks to the days where Sirius XM faced delisting threats from the NASDAQ.
Was the drop through any fault of Sirius XM -- or just a stock caught in the sweeping tide of a tumbling market?
Note that the stock has taken back losses Thursday morning, jumping 15.4% to $1.02."The de-listing overhang will likely continue to linger for investors, so long as the shares continue to exhibit their characteristic day-to-day volatility -- which has been particularly magnified around the sentimental $1 threshold -- perhaps understandably," S&P analyst Tuna Amobi said. Still, what has happened recently, explained Amobi, is simply that "the overall market volatility has had a fairly pronounced adverse impact on Sirius XM." Otherwise, Amobi hasn't made any changes in his hold recommendation on shares of Sirius XM. David Joyce of Miller Tabak agrees that there's not much he can interpret from the closing share price figure Wednesday, and dismissed the decline as insignificant. "It's just above and below it [$1] by a few pennies," he said. Still, David Trainer, the president of New Constructs, felt that the Sirius XM had suffered a beat-down that was well-deserved.
|More on Sirius XM Sirius XM: 3 Biggest Risks|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV