Microsoft's shares have now fallen 19% in the past month as investors experience euro fright and the software giant continues to sit out the great mobile Internet boom. The drop has lowered Microsoft's market capitalization to $220.6 billion.
This became a significant milepost on Wall Street Wednesday as Mac maker Apple now has a bigger market value cap. Apple closed the day down slightly at $244.05, but that equals a market cap of $222 billion, making it the most highly-valued tech stock in the country.
More on Microsoft
Microsoft Reshuffle Might Impact Mobile
The move is largely symbolic of Microsoft's inability to replicate its PC-based dominance in an expanding mobile device market.It's no small significance that the second-place market cap status comes a day after Microsoft cashiered its consumer and mobile products chiefs. Apple, meanwhile, has kept its winning streak going in gadgets. The iPad, the company's newest product since the iPhone, has found early success, which hasn't been hurt by its "insane pricing." --Reported by Scott Moritz in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV