With the international debut of the iPad coming Friday, Apple is set for another leg of its tablet sales journey. And if it's anything like the first million iPads sold, the overseas sales will put an even bigger dent in Apple's gross margins.
Apple's $500 price tag on the iPad isn't exactly a steal for a fancy media reader that isn't quite a notebook, but the price is painfully cheap compared to the usual markup Apple enjoys on its Macs and iPhones.
But before you get weepy for Apple, you should know that the company has been clear in telling Wall Street that it is willing to sacrifice significant profits in order to get iPads in as many hands as possible."We will take advantage of our first-mover opportunity here," CFO Peter Oppenheimer told analysts on an earnings call last month. "We have priced this extremely aggressively and we did that because we believe there is a huge market for it."
|More on Apple Verizon iPhone: No-Go at Apple Show|
|More on iPad Apple Faces Supply Constraints|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV