Betting on Non-Euro EuropeIn recent weeks, Europe has been split into two in the eyes of many investors: the euro zone and economies that use a non-euro currency. One of the best ways to bet against the former is by shorting the iShares MSCI EMU Index Fund (EZU), which includes stocks of EU members that have adopted the euro as their currency. One of the best ways to bet on the latter is the Global X FTSE Nordic 30 ETF (GXF), which offers exposure to Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland (of the group, only Finland has adopted the euro).
Although most major currencies have slipped relative to the dollar in recent weeks, the "euro drag" has weighed heavily on EZU. The EMU fund has lagged behind its Nordic rival over the last month, delivering a positive return to those who shorted EZU and bought GXF:
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV