Las Vegas Chefs Fuse Unlikely Flavors
LAS VEGAS ( TheStreet) -- Ethnic food continues to gain popularity among consumers, particularly Asian and Indian cuisines.
The market research firm Mintel says ethnic-food sales probably reached a record in 2009 and could grow 20% from 2010 to 2014. To capitalize on the trend, Whole Foods Market (WFMI) is sponsoring six months of cooking classes at Las Vegas-area stores that feature demonstrations from Kuldeep Singh, executive chef of Las Vegas' Origin India and Jet Tila, executive chef of Wazuzu at Encore at the Wynn (WYNN) Las Vegas. The first one, "The Curry Connection," highlights South and Southeast Asian flavors and techniques. TravelsinTaste went to the sources to get their takes on fusion cuisine.
|Wazuzu's barbecue platter.|
Tila, known for his mastery of pan-Asian cuisine, says he's seeing a lot of tandoor dishes in restaurants. A typical tandoori marinade consists of yogurt, lemon and spices. After soaking the marinade, the meat is cooked in a clay oven called a tandoor."It's a safe way to introduce Indian tastes and flavors. A lot of folks who have had a negative first experience with curries might opt to try these," he says.
More From TravelsinTaste
|Origin India: Vegas' Own Taj Mahal|
|Bar Masa: Revolutionary Japanese Chef Arrives in Vegas|
|Le Bernardin: New York's Best Seafood From New York's Best Chef|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV