By Eric Dutram of ETF Database
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As sovereign debt issues drag down the once mighty euro, markets around the world have slumped as speculation continues to swirl over which countries are likely headed toward default.
Decades of wild spending have compounded with a shaky economy and costly bailouts to put many countries on the brink of fiscal catastrophe. While the $1 trillion European bailout has highlighted the seriousness of the problem, it has done little to solve it; eventually, countries will have to default or quickly scale down their levels of debt.
This focus on debt markets has once again put a strain on the financial sector; banks arguably have the most to lose from a sovereign default or a sharp recession caused by government belt tightening. When some investors seek international equity exposure through ETFs, they assume that such an investment gives them well diversified exposure to the local economy. But that isn't always the case.While the S&P 500 SPDR (SPY) allocates about 16% of its assets to financials, some ETFs focusing on a single country can have more than 40% of holdings in the often-volatile sector. Below we profile five ETFs that focus on specific countries and have a disproportionate amount of assets in financial firms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV