Spain Is the Pain
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If there was a doubt about it, there isn't any more. The European debt crisis is not simply a Greek phenomenon. Spain is the focus now. Spain (sovereign and private) owes foreign investors roughly $1.1 trillion. In comparison, Greece's external debt is closer to $236 billion.
Besides the news that everyone is now aware of (a savings bank taken over by the central bank over the weekend, the merger of four additional banks and the IMF's warnings), two other developments are noteworthy.
First the good news. Spain reported today that its central government deficit in the first four months of the year narrowed to €5.66 billion from €6.91 billion in the same year-ago period. This is about an 18% improvement. Recall that just last week, Spain announced additional cost cutting, including a 5% reduction of civil servant salaries and a freeze on pensions. Note that it does not include the social security system or local governments.
That is a good segue to the second and not so good news. Yesterday Spain seemed to indicate that it was banning local governments from taking on any more long-term debt. The local papers today are clarifying this to mean that the ban will come into effect on Jan. 1, 2011 and last a full year. Local governments last year accounted for nearly 0.55 percentage points of the 11.2% deficit.This is a timely reminder of the importance of local governments in Europe and their borrowing. In some countries, including Italy and Germany, the borrowings can be substantial. The point in Spain however is that if local governments can't make long-term borrowings next year, wouldn't that increase the incentives to borrow (if they can) this year?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV