EU Reform Warning: Tuesday's Headlines
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here are the top stock market headlines for the morning of Tuesday, May 25, 2010.
Tuesday's Early Headlines
- EU Warns Europe Needs Major Economic Reforms -- European Union officials have warned that Europe will stagnate unless eurozone governments make major reforms to boost growth. EU Economy Commissioner Olli Rehn predicts that growth will not top 1.5% and the jobless rate will stay close to current highs without reforms over the next five years, the Associated Press reports. Meanwhile, The Financial Times reports that EU countries will be forced to impose an upfront levy on banks, with the proceeds to be paid into national funds to insure against future financial failures. The proposals, expected to be unveiled Wednesday, is designed to prevent future bank failures from destabilising the broader financial system and could raise billions once implemented, the FT reports.
- BP Examines New Way to Plug Oil Leak -- BP (BP) is expected in a few days to begin a so-called top kill operation in which heavy drilling fluids would be injected into the well to stem the flow of oil and gas into the Gulf of Mexico and ultimately kill the well. However, if that plan is unsuccessful, BP said it is developing a cap containment option in which it would remove the damaged riser from the top of the blow-out preventer, leaving a cleanly-cut pipe. A cap would then be connected to a riser from a drillship with the intent of capturing most of the oil and gas flowing from the well.
- North Korea Threatens Military Action Against South Korea -- The Yonhap news agency said that North Korea has threatened to retaliate against South Korea with military action after accusing the country's navy of trespassing into its waters, CNN reports. "This is a deliberate provocation aimed to spark off another military conflict in the West Sea of Korea and thus push to a war phase the present north-south relations," a North Korean military official said in a statement, according to Yonhap. Asian markets tumbled on the geopolitical tensions, with the Hang Seng dropping 3.5%, the Nikkei 225 down 3.1% and the Shanghai off 1.9%.
- Microsoft Prepping Management Shake-Up: Report -- Microsoft (MSFT) plans a shake-up of the management of its division focused on videogames, mobile phones and other devices, The Wall Street Journal reports. Microsoft may announce major organizational changes at its Entertainment & Devices Division as early as this week, the newspaper reports, citing people familiar with the matter. The division includes Microsoft's Xbox videogame business and Windows Phone.
- Spanish Regional Banks to Merge Some Operations -- An agreement between Spanish regional banks Caja de Ahorros de Mediterraneo, Cajastur, Caja de Extremadura and Caja Cantabria aims to create a joint banking group that seeks to "strengthen solvency and assets of the participating banks," the banks said in a statement. The four banks said they would remain separate entities but would merge their risk policies, treasury operations, credit evaluation, internal controls and regulatory requirements, Reuters reports.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV