Dow Claws Back Above 10,000; S&P Closes Up
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Dow managed to recapture the 10,000 level in the last hour of trading after wiping away its steepest losses Tuesday, though stocks still finished near the flat line amid uncertainty about global growth.
After being down around 200 points during a good part of the session, the Dow Jones Industrial Average finished 23 points lower, or 0.2%, to 10,044. But the S&P 500 eked out a fractional gain to close at 1074. The Nasdaq dipped 3 points, or 0.1%, at 2211.
"Equity markets thrive when there's certainty, and clearly we don't have that right now. There's a sense that once we have more clarity, we'll be able to see that we're going to get through this and that we'll be OK," said Mike Schenk, senior economist at the Credit Union National Association. "Now, I'm not saying that European debt issues won't drag on U.S. economic growth. I think it'll have an effect and it'll be a noticeable effect, but it won't be devastating."What you're seeing today is really being driven by Europe, but all the U.S. data we're getting is showing that consumers are in a much better place, and even the housing market is in a better place -- and that's what's pulls us out of downturns. I'm not saying the data is being ignored, but the emphasis is in other places," Schenk said, adding, "Once the market gets more clarity, I think the data we've been seeing will help the market stabilize." Several factors weighed on market sentiment Tuesday, including a warning from European Union Economy Commissioner Olli Rehn that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV