EU Warns Europe Needs Major Economy Reforms
BRUSSELS (AP) â¿¿ The European Union's economy chief has warned that the region will stagnate unless governments make major reforms to boost growth.
EU Economy Commissioner Olli Rehn predicts that growth will not top 1.5 percent and the jobless rate will stay close to current highs without reforms over the next five years.
He says governments should make it easier for services businesses â¿¿ from hairdressing to telecoms â¿¿ to break into other European countries. He is also calling for an overhaul of labor markets to make it easier to move jobs.
That could create 10 million jobs and take unemployment rates down to 3 percent by 2020, he said Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV