Bio-Reference Laboratories (BRLI) provides lab testing services in the New York City area. Since 2007, it has increased revenue and net profit 23% a year. Its stock has achieved annualized gains of 20% during the same span.
Quarter: Fiscal first-quarter profit rose 11% to $4 million, or 15 cents, as revenue increased 31%. The operating margin stretched from 6.6% to 7.5%. Bio-Reference holds $15 million of cash and $34 million of debt, equal to a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.3.
Stock: Bio-Reference has climbed 73% during the past year, beating U.S. benchmarks. It sells for a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 20 and a price-to-book ratio of 4.8, 47% and 70% premiums to peer averages. It's also costly based on sales.
Consensus: Of the four researchers following Bio-Reference, one recommends buying and three suggest holding its shares. Jefferies (JEF) offers a target of $19, implying the stock could fall 14%. William Blair expects the shares to outperform.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV