Wow! That's a Lot of Debt!
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The markets are in turmoil because of the worry about the so-called PIIGS debts (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain).
In earlier writings, I opined that Greece is just the canary in the coal mine and that when we look homeward, we have our own huge debt issues which are not significantly different from those of the PIIGS countries. I believe that the only reason the European contagion has not yet spread to America is because of the dollar's status as the world's reserve currency. That era is coming to an end, and it would behoove America to get its house in order.
A May 14, 2010 Barron's piece
As you will see below, I take issue with the above conclusion, and the first half of this piece will deal with why. Basically, citizens of each U.S. state are responsible not only for the debt burdens of their states and localities, but they are also responsible for their proportionate share of the federal debt. As you will see, the combination of the two produces debt ratios far in excess of those of the PIIGS.Table 1 shows the PIIGS data that the markets are concerned with.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV