Gold for June delivery ended down $12.50 to $1,176.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price Friday has traded as high as $1,187.60 and as low as $1,166. The U.S. dollar index was slipping 0.76% to $85.36 while the euro rallied 0.91% to $1.25 against the dollar. The spot gold price Friday was down over $5, according to Kitco's gold index, as bargain hunters tentatively bought the physical metal.
Gold prices have lost 4.5% or $56 this week as global turmoil forced investors to sell gold, one of the only assets to return a recent profit, in order to raise money. The futures market ended down double digits versus the phsyical spot price as traders were forced to sell some gold positions ahead of Tuesday's options expirations and to cover equity losses.
Germany has approved the $1 trillion bailout package for European Union nations, but the news did little to calm investor jitters. Worries that inflation and budget cuts across Europe would crimp any kind of growth were stifling markets as no one wanted to be heavily invested in the short term.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV