Southwest arrived in 2009. "All along we have stated that while we have enjoyed success with our Manchester and Providence operations, we were not fully serving the Boston area," said spokesman Paul Flaningan. "People from the larger Central Boston area were not driving
Consultant Mike Boyd said JetBlue forced Southwest's hand. "Southwest was living off Manchester and Providence, getting leakage out of Boston," he said. "But once JetBlue went there,
"Before, getting to the airport was like trying to get out of Saigon when it fell," said Boyd.
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV