PALO ALTO, Calif. (TheStreet) -- Hewlett-Packard's (HPQ) acquisition of PALM (PALM) may be more exciting to talk about, but it is the computer maker's purchase of 3Com that could spell the biggest upside for investors.
H-P blew past Wall Street's estimates in its second-quarter results last night; the company was boosted by a rapidly-improving economy. H-P also raised its guidance, citing strong PC sales, a rebound in enterprise spending, and -- crucially -- the impact of adding 3Com to its lineup.
H-P's smartphone and tablet plans have come under the microscope following the $1.2 billion Palm deal, overshadowing last year's $2.7 billion 3Com acquisition. The 3Com deal, however, will help H-P challenge networking giant Cicso (CSCO) and widen a major revenue stream.During a conference call last night, H-P CEO Mark Hurd explained that 3Com helped the company close deals with two Fortune 500 firms during the second quarter. "We've had a very good start with 3Com -- we have been aggressive in hiring," he said, adding that H-P's ProCurve products also enjoyed a "very significant" number of wins during the quarter. The tech bellwether's results have prompted Goldman Sachs to raise its 2010 H-P earnings estimate from $4.48 to $4.65. For 2011, the analyst firm also raised its forecast from $4.96 to $5.20, thanks largely to 3Com. "Higher revenue (despite a bigger FX drag) and the inclusion of 3Com are the main drivers to our increased EPS forecast," wrote Goldman David Bailey in a note released on Wednesday. H-P only closed its 3Com acquisition on April 12, so the networking firm contributed just $50 million to its second-quarter revenue. The company's overall networking business is nonetheless enjoying rapid growth, with sales up 58% year-over-year. Cisco, however, still holds about 70% of the networking market, according to Goldman Sachs, but H-P's 3Com deal is pushing in the right direction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV