Vanda Schizophrenia Drug Gets Rotten Review
"There are at least two disadvantages of iloperidone
The authors of the manual conclude, "It is unclear to us exactly where iloperidone is going to fit in the treatment of schizophrenia. It is not going to be a first-line agent because of the dosing and QTc issues. Iloperidone is going to be more expensive than either first-generation drugs or generic SGAs. Patients who cannot tolerate or respond to other SGAs might be a candidate for iloperidone."
Adds Madison Williams analyst Moskowitz, "The manual's commentary on Fanapt isn't any different from what we're finding in our own research and conversations and surveys with doctors. The safety of these drugs is the first consideration, more than efficacy, so commentary like this will give doctors pause."
Moskowitz downgraded Vanda to "reduce" from "buy" last month and cut his Fanapt sales forecast due to evidence suggesting that Novartis' launch efforts were failing.Jefferies analyst Corey Davis retained his buy rating on Vanda but cut his price target from $20 to $15. "With Fanapt launching slowly, and reorganization at Novartis, we're a bit more cautious," he wrote. Fanapt isn't the only new schizophrenia drug to launch in recent months. Merck (MRK) is also now selling a drug known as Saphris. Both Fanapt and Saphris compete against existing schizophrenia drugs from Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Pfizer (PFE) and AstraZeneca (AZN), as well as low-cost generics. Vanda shares are down 3% to $7.93 in recent trading. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
|FDA Calendar 14 Biotech Stocks Facing FDA Approval|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV