So let's see if we can find a common thread in a couple of news items that have wafted over from the Securities and Exchange Commission.
The first was a dilly. The ink is still wet on the SEC lawsuit against Goldman Sachs (GS) -- you know, the one alleging offenses so grave that prosecutors are said to be interested -- and already it seems destined for the round file. There are persistent reports that the bank is in settlement talks with the SEC. Got to put that bad stuff behind 'em and keep on giving clients great service. Got to resuscitate that share price. Got to... wait a moment. What about the rest of us? Doesn't the public deserve a full airing of the charges, along with a determination if they are true or false? That doesn't happen in SEC "neither admit nor deny" settlements.
Then there's that crash-uncrash spasm in the markets the other day. Rumors whirled that it was caused by one guy pushing the wrong button. It was nuts. The House Financial Services committee hurriedly convened a hearing to find out what happened, and called the one person in the world one logically assumes would be on top of the situation, SEC chairperson Mary Schapiro.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV