NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Video game sales saw their biggest decline in nearly a year, plunging 26% to $766.2 million in April.
The drop, the fourth largest in history, is at least partially attributable to the shift in the Easter holiday, according to the NPD Group. Still, the lack of new game launches also hurt sales.
Hardware sales tumbled 37% to $249.3 million, while software sales tanked 22% to $398.5 million. Sony's (SNE) PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 were the only systems to see growth year-over-year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV