Report Sees Slow Freight Recovery Through 2021
ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) â¿¿ Researchers working for a trade group representing the nation's truckers say freight shipments will rise 25 percent by 2021, suggesting a prolonged recovery from the recession.
Freight shipments fell by 12.5 percent last year alone.
The study was done for the American Trucking Associations by IHS Global Insight and Martin Labbe Associates, which also estimated that freight transportation revenue will grow 69 percent by 2021.
Trucking operators have suffered in recent years from overcapacity and competition from railroads. But the study done for the trucking industry predicts that by 2021 truckers will increase their share of tons shipped to 70.7 percent from 68 percent last year while the railroads' share will fall to 14.1 percent from 14.7 percent.The researchers made assumptions about the broader economy, including a modest expansion of consumer spending and only a slow decline in unemployment, to 6.7 percent by late 2015, about 2 percentage points higher than the rate before the recession.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV