NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The highest year over year increase ever in rail car freight occurred in April (15.8%). Data has been kept only since 1989, but the increase may well be the highest number ever, according to the Association of American Railroads.
In a separate category, intermodal traffic increased by 14.3% year over year, the tenth largest number since 1990. Rail cars are used largely for commodities and raw materials, while intermodal traffic (containers and trailers) is substantially processed and finished goods.
Rail freight continued to grow in April from March levels as well, although by small amounts: 0.5% for rail cars and 1.0% for intermodal freight. While the amount of freight has not gotten back to 2008 levels for April, the levels of 2010 continue to move farther away from depressed 2009 levels, reflecting an improving economy.
April showed increases in rail car freight year over year for the second straight month. This had not happened prior to March for 20 previous months. The graph above shows the rail car data.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV