Rand Capital Announces First Quarter Results And Election Of Directors And Officers
- Net Asset Value is $3.30 per share for the quarter ending March 31, 2010
- Four follow-on investments totaling $1,055,000
BUFFALO, N.Y., May 12, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Rand Capital Corporation (Nasdaq:RAND) ("Rand"), a business development company (BDC) that provides capital and managerial expertise for small to medium-sized private companies, announced its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2010 highlighting a net asset value of $3.30 per share, a decrease of ($0.10) from December 31, 2009. At the end of the first quarter, Rand's total investment portfolio was valued at $24.6 million, which exceeds its cost basis of $15.8 million, reflecting $8.8 million in net unrealized appreciation.
Allen F. Grum, President of Rand Capital, stated, "We had an active investing quarter, providing growth capital to four of our existing companies. Merger and acquisition activity has increased with several of our companies evaluating potential liquidity events. We are also evaluating several new investments and look forward to sharing these with you in the future."
Portfolio ActivitiesDuring the quarter:
- Rand made a follow-on investment of $250,000 in Rheonix, Inc. (Ithaca, NY) ( www.rheonix.com ). Rheonix is a spin-off of Kionix, Inc. (Ithaca, NY) ( www.kionix.com ) and has developed a patented CARD TM (Chemistry and Reagent Device) microfluidic diagnostic platform for simultaneous assay testing of small volumes of chemicals and biological fluids. Rheonix recently announced the completion of a $12.6 million Series A financing.
- Also during the quarter, Rand made a $125,000 follow-on investment in Microcision LLC (Philadelphia, PA) ( www.microcision.com ). Microcision is a manufacturer of custom medical and dental implants ( www.aetonmed.com ) including precision machined components, implants and assemblies. Aeton has developed a proprietary line of dental ST abutments, flathead drills, healing caps and other unique products for the dental implant market.
- A $200,000 investment in Niagara Dispensing Technologies, Inc. (Amherst, NY) ( www.niagaradispensing.com ). Niagara Dispensing is a beverage dispensing technology products manufacturer specializing in rapid pour beer dispensing systems for high volume stadium and concession operations. Their Exactap and Exactpour products are revolutionizing draught beer dispensing and are in use worldwide.
- A $480,000 follow-on investment in GridApp Systems, Inc. (New York, NY) ( www.gridapp.com ). GridApp Systems is a leading provider of database automation solutions including database patching, compliance, Oracle provisioning, that help businesses gain control of their heterogeneous database environment, utilizing their proprietary Clarity software.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV