Silver prices were rising 26 cents to $19.56 while copper was down 2 cents to $3.18. Silver was maintaining its appeal as the "poor man's gold" as investors bought the metal as a cheaper alternative to four-digit gold prices. Copper was largely left out of the precious metal rally as concerns over slowing spending in China weighed on demand for the precious meal.
Gold stocks, a more risky but more profitable way to invest in gold, were mixed after their big rally Tuesday. Barrick Gold (ABX) was down 0.48% to $45.66 while Newmont Mining (NEM) was up almost 1% to $58.72. Other large-cap miners Kinross Gold (KGC) and Goldcorp (GG) were trading at $19.24 and $46.19, respectively.
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV