Gold for June was popping $32.70 to $1,233.50 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price Tuesday has traded as high as $1,235.20 and as low as $1,201.50. The U.S. dollar index was also rising 0.42% to $84.51 while the euro resumed its down trend falling 0.73% to $1.26 against the dollar. The spot gold price today was up $29, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold prices topped their previous high in U.S. dollar terms of $1,227 an ounce as investor remain wary of the bailout plan for eurozone countries . The joint European Union and IMF initiative as well as the European Central Bank's effort to lend money to "dysfunctional" markets by buying public and private debt have many analysts wondering if this will really be enough to avert disaster. Many analysts also speculate that the European Central Bank will eventually be forced to monetize eurozone countries' debt, in essence print money to save the euro. Either scenario is positive for gold prices.
Investors continued to buy gold as a form of money that retains its value as the euro continues to lose value. Despite a stronger U.S. dollar, the euro crisis has spooked many investors who want to balance their portfolio with gold."Our new trading range may have to be expanded after this week to $1,150 support and $1,250
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV